Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Fare thee well, fine summer.



Silly silly silly summer silliness. As a final hoorah to summer we went to a local amusement park and had a blast. Linus got to ride rides for the first time (LOVED them) and we got to walk around in the falling leaves and enjoy some of the last warm temperatures of the season.
And now, seemingly all of a sudden, fall is on it's last leg and today there were flurries here - FLURRIES! How did that happen? I still need to mow the lawn one last time and get the canopy gazebo thing taken down and the lawn furniture and wading pool put away and put the winterizer on the grass and.... why can't Autumn last longer?! Lots of good solid 60 degree days of crunchy leaves - months of them in a row! Not a sissy few couple of weeks, but a couple of good months. Is that too much to ask? Grrr...
Anyway ,this summer was a pretty good one, and I for one feel that it went by TOO fast and frankly I'm fearing for my sanity as I look down the barrel of winter with a kid in two-berty. Time to hunker down and get creative, I guess. I anticipate days of whining and boredom and jaunts to the malls and museums and playgroups while braving the boogered faces of the community and trying to downplay the green slime coming out of our own noses : "Oh, it's allergies, he's not sick." "Who me? No, I'm sure I'm not contagious by now." "Oh, I always have this cough *sound of lung trying eject itself*". With any luck we'll get enough snow to make some decent angels and try out some of the neighborhod sledding haunts. Those activities necessitate the ritual of hot cocoa and getting warm and dry (well, no fireplace here, so we'll snuggle by the heat vents). That can be fun! We can glue stuff to paper and call it art and string lights up and make cards. So you see I really AM trying to be optimstic about this winter, but... I think we might be nearing the station on the parenting train express marked "POTTY TRAINING CENTRAL". Now THAT'S a train that you can't jump off of and a station that has an exit exam. *GULP* I better go get those marshmallows for the cocoa. I hear they make good pee targets in the toilet. Sigh.

Fare thee well, fine summer. Fare thee well.

5 comments:

Suzi said...

I also wish that fall could last much longer! I love the leaves and colors. I will be facing my first winter as a mom trying to entertain her young child. I guess all we can do is enjoy it while it last.

I love, love, love that picture of you guys. I so wish we could come visit again. Give Linus a big hug from us!!!!

Casey * Haley * Avery * Owen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Casey * Haley * Avery * Owen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Molly Koch said...

i love you! reading your post makes it seem like i can hear you talking :) you all look great- and richy doesn't even look sleep deprived! we are headed down potty train central too- shoot me! but i will be excited to not have 2 in diapers. bradens middle name is stubborn so we are putting it off as long as we can. and if you ever need a break from winter- turns out we don't get one, so come on over. i miss hot chocolate!

Molly Koch said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.