Saturday, April 05, 2008

Project Time

So this isn't EXACTLY a chronicle of just Linus, but it is something his family has been up to.

A couple of weeks ago I reached maximum tolerance of the mustard yellow color of our dining room walls. When we moved in we tolerated the color but over time the horrific lack of technique the previous owners employed just kept grating on us (streaks, cheap paint, needed a second coat etc). The window coverings were a ghastly vertical blind that had kind of a fabric texture that still had their cat's hair on it - so gross- but when I took down the verticals the old hardware's holes needed to be patched but I didn't have the mustard color to touch up over my spackle job and didn't see the point of buying a color I didn't love so one day I just caved and decided to start from scratch. So after patching some cracks in the ceiling and painting its sickly gray (we called it "prison gray") with some fresher off white, I patched, primed and painted the walls. Richy and I then put up some crown moulding with some borrowed tools from friends. Pneumatic nail guns and compound miter saws ROCK.


BEFORE/MID:



We haven't painted the moudling yet, but even as it is it feels like a HUGE improvement. Here's a peek (the picture is just a view of the upper part of the room because the bottom half of the room was still a DISASTER when I took the pic):

AFTER/PEEK:
We also did moulding in the living room, but for now I'm bragging on the dining room (sound of me patting us on the back).

Linus was mostly stoked that will all the furniture scattered around it gave him more room to ride - and he's getting pretty good, too! Today he rode outside (with helmet) for the first time.

8 comments:

Suzi said...

Good job on the room! It looks great. I can't wait until we have a place to work on. Linus looks so cute on the bike. I am still so excited to see you guys.

Casey * Haley * Avery * Owen said...

Love the green walls. The moulding looks great too.... good job Marie.. Richie. I love Linus's bike. We just got Owen a trike but he still can't quite reach the pedals... were working on it. Sounds like eating will be much more pleasent looking at nicely painted walls. Looks Great!

Dina C said...

Mike and I were just reading this together and Mike kept saying "Cute kid. He looks a lot like Richy." I see a lot of you though Marie. This is coming froma mom who ALWAYS has to hear "your girls look so much like their daddy". We miss you guys.

The Nielsen Family said...

Way to go guys!! I love the Easter pics of Linus...that hat is way too Classic. Why is this the first time I have seen it? Also, he is looking very adorable in his Dapper outfit.

The Wiz said...

WOW! HUGE difference! Where did you get the drapes?

Cassidy said...

Love the new walls and the molding. Looks fantastic.

Katie said...

Hi Marie! I'm so glad to find you on the web! What a great job you did! I'm just so PROUD! (I'm talking about the molding, but ditto for Linus, too) That's a project I'm letting simmer on the back burner until I feel brave enough. I will come to you when that glorious day arrives.

Jeanne said...

I love your color, kind of similar to my kitchen, which is the only room I have painted in 3 years. I also really like your couch in the back ground.
You did a nice job!