Friday, August 01, 2008

Okay okay I get it.





Well, this summer has been full of ups and downs. The biggest "down" is some of our best friends moved away in June (for the record, 2247 miles is NOT an acceptable distance for a 3 year old to be away from his best friend). Linus talks about his beloved Jujis EVERY day and it has been breaking our hearts. He has hatched really elaborate plans to get to her, too. He says "Daddy, we need to talk. Look at all of these cracks in our house. Our house is old. We need a new house... maybe in SPOKANE!!!". And so it goes. He wants very little to do with our current location and wants only to be close to Julianna (he spontaneously sings her name in a soft melancholy voice occasionally). I could go on, but my heart is heavy thinking about it. It has been much harder than we expected to say goodbye.

On the upshot, we've had some fun moments this summer as well. Linus' favorite was our outing to Big Rig Day at the Big Butler Fair about an hour north of here. A picture is worth a thousand words, so here are 3000 words for you:
Ok, back to trying to dig a small boy out of a depression. Anyone have any tips?
Sigh.

7 comments:

The Nielsen Family said...

Oh my gosh, the smile on that boy couldn't get any bigger!!! And the picture of Linus and Juji's hugging brought tears to my eyes!

Thanks for the post. :)

Suzi said...

That is the greatest picture. What joy! We miss you guys. I keep thinking that I can make the nine hour trek to your house but then I think it is still to soon since my last road trip.

Dina C said...

I know. You could move to Denver (which is terrific, by the way) and then he could be closer to his best little friend. And when the pain of missing her is more than his little heart can bare our three little daughters will be there to comfort him.
I have his best interest in heart. And really, moving to Denver to be near us is the best solution for him.

Casey * Haley * Avery * Owen said...

What a great smile on his face... Linus is too cute and looks like he was having the time of his life. I love seeing pictures of he and Richy together. I hope you guys are doing well... we were talken the other day... Pittsburgh... we need to see you guys someday soon!

Andrea said...

Rich and Marie, I was just snooping...found your blog from the Belnaps and wanted to say hi!! It has been forever, your boy is soooo cute!! Hope we can run into each other in Utah sometime!! love ya, Andrea

Dina C said...

Dear Marie,
As president of your fan club may I please request more frequent updates of your life with dashingly handsome husband and devastatingly adorable offspring.
Much appreciation,
MMMMW club

Mindy said...

Marie??! As in my roommate Marie??! I found you through Heather's blog. Your little boy is adorable! My email is bmatcsmith@gmail.com